Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Prior to being pregnant

Few months after my marriage, when my chums skipped I was ecstatic that I was pregnant but I was not. It was okay then, as we were newly married and the romance was on so we didn't think much about it. But the next month too there wasn't any sign of chums and I had gained a few kilos. This time we thought to go and see a doc. But, believe me thats when the havoc started. The docs I met had their own theory of what might have happened to me and suggested medications, but that didn't help. My body had swelled up like a balloon now and my worried mom paid me a visit. And believe me, she had one look at me and started crying, thats how I looked (I can never forget that day). Her worries were off bounds then and she started to pull strings to find me the best available doc in Hyderabad. And she found him (Oh! Mom, you are just awesome and I love you for that).

The doc after doing a thorough check up (a series of blood tests and an ultrasound) confirmed us that I had PCOS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polycystic_ovary_syndrome). Now what the **** was PCOS, we had the least idea. So, to put us out of our misery ( or in our case to increase our misery) the doc described PCOS as an infertility constraint. And we all lost hope of me getting pregnant. And was the killer. The doc made me see a gynecologist and between them they started my medication.

Every girl after reaching puberty often wonders when the time will come when she won't get her chums anymore and believe me that had turned to be my nightmare. We (me, Sanjeev, my mom and my mausi) would wait desperately for that time in the month when I was expected to get my chums and when it came we all sighed in relief. And this went for a period of 2 years.

In those two years I heard a lot of things said about my not losing weight and not being able to get pregnant. The words had cut through me then and I don't remember how many days and nights I had spent in shedding tears and blaming myself and sometimes Sanjeev too. But thanks to the love, cooperation and understanding of my parents, Sanjeev and a couple close friends that I made it through them alright.

After that we shifted to Kolkata, there I met another gynecologist who suggested Ovarian drilling surgery. We did it. He then started me on Clomid a fertility drug and asked us to try. But now owing to my previous medications I had lost my interest in sex, the most important concept of trying to be pregnant. I was devastated then. Just think when the doc gave us a go sign, I was mentally and physically shut down, and that was just enough, even then I didn't know what to do and whom to talk to. Talking this to my mom was out of question and friends were absolute no no then whom should I turn to.

Gathering up my courage I called my cousin sister (Kumun Nani) who is quite older to me and I knew she would have a solution and also keep my misery to herself. After talking to her I felt my insecurity drain and I relaxed. Sanjeev and me had long talks that day. And one thing led to another and I was finally able to kick off all those weird thoughts and gave it a try.

But then no one had said how long should you try. I was getting impatient with each passing month and each negative pregnancy test. Even I was said I was not trying enough and that wasn't a good thing to hear (Tushar and Nilu thanks for all that consoling that day.. I really needed them). But I am a Taurean and stubborn to hell as I am, I put up with all that and kept trying.

On September 4th 2010 (can't ever forget the date), I took a home pregnancy test and lo behold it came out positive. When I saw the result I was shaking like a leaf. I couldn't believe my luck at last. I ran to Sanjeev told him and he had just got up from the bed had was shocked. At long last I was pregnant. Yippee!!!!!!!

This is the story prior to being pregnant.


3 comments:

  1. Quite a fight..but a good ending...We are so happy to see you happy...well written...waiting for much more to come :) My wishes...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quite a explicit saga of events before the P day :)
    Keeping blogging and Best wishes for D day!

    ReplyDelete