Monday, November 7, 2011

Second Trimester : The 2nd Milestone

 This post has been long overdue. I had initially started this blog a bit late and the posts too came late accordingly but now I know it’s high time to start posting herein again, so, here I am.

Though my Second Trimester is long gone (now its 1 year, I had entered my 2nd Trimester in Nov'10), nevertheless, the feelings and the events that came along with those three months are still afresh.

The very start of my fourth month, gave us two piece of wonderful news. Firstly, the most crucial period in pregnancy i.e., the first trimester was over and everyone including my GYN sighed with relief. Secondly, Sanjeev had been asked to move to US for a project. Both the news brought a great deal of happiness but the later came tinted with sadness as I had to go with Sanjeev and be far from my loved ones at the very moment when I need all their TLC. But, you can't ever fight with fate. Can you?

So, in my 4th month I saw a 'pregnant me' assisting in packing our household goods and furniture to be sent off to my parents place. Then again there was the dreaded travel ahead from one part of the world to another (as to say 'saat samundar paar' :P). I can never tell which of the above two was hardest as both of them took an equal toll on me. 
When the time came for our much awaited travel the air was filled with emotion as everyone was teary eyed. My dad's eyes were bloodshot while tears escaped from my mom's eyes. My mom-in-law cried silently while my dad-in-law was very quiet. I, on the other hand was anxious and shaken at the same time. Anxious as I was about to visit a new place and shaken because in pregnancy all stay near their parent for mental support while I was going away from mine. But I had to be with Sanjeev as I didn't want him to miss the growth of my baby; therefore, I was doing what I was doing. The flight was long and a bit stressful but I didn't have any problem except I hated the waiting part between my travels. But all is well that ends well, right! And lo behold! I reached Evansville.

When I reached Evansville, I was already 2 weeks into my 4th month. Finding a GYN was a very difficult job as we didn't whom to trust and whom to ask. But luckily we got hold of one of the best GYNs in Evansville. And then my check up here started. In my first appointment here they scheduled an ultrasound. Previously, when I had an ultrasound in India, they had denied Sanjeev the privileges but herein they welcomed Sanjeev to sit with me in my ultrasound and see out baby growing in my womb. For the first time then we both heard the heartbeat of our baby and no sound believe me no sound in this world could be sweeter than that.  

In the fifth month, I felt something that I had never felt before. I felt bubbles floating in my stomach. Sometimes continuously sometimes just for a few seconds, but I felt bubbles floating and spurt. When I felt those moment I kind of felt ticklish too, so, I used to laugh when I felt those sensations. Sanjeev used to ask me why I am laughing but when I explained it he didn’t seem to gather any sense out of it and said I was being silly. I thought maybe I was, as even I wasn’t sure of the feeling myself. But when I talked to a friend (Sujata has a 1year old boy named Coco) about the feeling, she affirmed me of my sensations.  When still I couldn’t explain Sanjeev, I knew then to understand those sensations you have to be pregnant.

In the fifth month, there was a significant baby bump and automatically my hand went to the bump to caress my LO. That was maternal or just ‘me being me’ I don’t know but I enjoyed caressing my LO.

It was in the sixth month that I felt my LO move. First, it was a rhythmic kick, which I later came to know that, those were his hiccups. The hiccups were lengthier than his occasional kicks.

It was in my sixth month that I came to know my LO is a boy. In India I had signed an undertaking to never know the sex of my baby owing to high rate of female genocide, but there is no such rule here in US. So, ‘me being me’ the curious little cat that I am, I couldn’t help but ask the nurse at my next ultrasound visit, and she was too happy to quench my curiosity. It didn’t matter to me if my LO was a boy or girl because I loved my LO too much to distinguish but to know for sure was all exciting. I just thought I have a boy now, so next time it should be a girl, typical me right!

So, after knowing it’s a boy I flooded the websites to find a suitable name for my LO. A name that will show what he means to us and a name that will start with ‘A’. It wasn’t at all easy to decide rather it was all confusion, as the ones I suggested were different from what my mom suggested and my mom-in law suggested something else. The confusion was too great to handle so the name couldn’t be finalized till the end of my sixth month.

The second trimester initiated a lot of things in my life. Usually the second trimester is said to be the ‘honeymoon period’ of pregnancy as during this time the morning sickness subsides and you enjoy every minute of being pregnant. And yes, I enjoyed theses three months a great deal.


N.B: Raj & Sujata : Thanks for referring us to Dr. Brown

Dr. Brown : Thanks for taking me in.

Sanjeev, Nana, Bou & Maa : Thanks for the continuous support.

Baby & Preeti : As we were pregnant at the same time, we had a great time chatting about our baby's growth and development.

Coco : You made my gloomy days shine brightly and being with you developed my maternal instincts a great deal.

Kajal, Tushar & Nilu : For always being the friend in my need.



No comments:

Post a Comment